Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Feast of St. Catherine of Alexandria

Today is the feast of St. Catherine of Alexandria, a consecrated virgin and philosopher who was martyred in early fourth-century Egypt. She is a patroness of philosophers and the Dominican Order, and I’m sure she could be considered a patroness for modern consecrated virgins as well—especially for those consecrated virgins who have to wade through a lot of philosophy in graduate school. ;-)

In honor of her feast (and because I have too much homework to write a full post!) here is a great video about St. Catherine from “Moniales OP”:

2 comments:

margaret said...

She is the patron of the Institute of Orthodox Studies in England. I have been growing more fond of her since I started there.

Sponsa Christi said...

Margaret: Yes, St. Catherine is a wonderful saint. Interestingly, one thing I’ve noticed is that there are many early consecrated virgin-saints who are much more celebrated by the Orthodox than by the Roman Catholic Church. When I googled some of the saints on Fr. Vizmanos’ list, a lot of them were only represented on Orthodox Christian websites.

By the way, many thanks for the link on your blog!